Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Making Things

I'm going to express why summer is an essential time, not just because of the opportunity to do nothing, but the chance to create.

I have been writing stories since I was able, and have a severe passion for combining the symbols contained by the alphabet to make something that exists separate from the page. I've been playing guitar for about three years, and have developed a love for music that has led me to learning ukulele and mandolin, writing songs, and spending a magnanimous amount of time learning music. I have always made art, and continue to do so. In the past year I have discovered the joy of photography, and I have been a book lover since preschool. It is all of these things that cause me to yearn for summer.

From June to August there are ubiquitous events hosted by my church, bringing the family there closer than they are the rest of the year. Additionally, it is during these three warm months I often find myself creating. Creating music, creating art, creating photos, creating stories. This extra time allows for growth in areas that I cannot practice during the work-filled months that follow these. It allows me to grow closer to God. There are campfires, there is a cappella worship, there is a sense of contentment that can only come from the thought, I can do this now, because there is nothing important tomorrow. So much more is experienced because nothing is planned and nothing must be.

This is why I want summer and this is why it's important to me. I will wait, but it feels as though I can't.

(Random thought No. 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment