Sunday, April 13, 2014

Wanderlust // longing

I've been thinking a lot today, which means two posts in two days.

Any artist knows the feeling of inspiration and knows the dread that is a lack of creativity. A lot of times I will create something late into the night when everything is vivid and be so content with the work, but will wake up the next morning and consider throwing it in the trash. This discouragement often hinders progression for me, because I feel as though I will never produce something worth being experienced by someone other than myself.

It has been a long while since I've written a song I'm truly happy with, and very rarely have I recently created art I enjoy looking at. How do I overcome this block and how do I progress in my skill? I'll pray about it and get back to you on that.

Part of this longing for creativity is matched with a longing for freedom. I spend many nights waiting for a time when I can decide I'm going somewhere and immediately depart. I'm waiting for a day that I can grab my guitar and a notebook and go on an adventure, go see the world.

Freedom is imminent and often seemingly unreachable. It's acquired slowly, and it often has nothing to do with rights. A lot of times, it has something to do with the fact that whatever's going on in our life prevents us from doing what we are so eager to do. I pray that there is a day when I can stare at my bucket list and think to myself, Well, I guess I better go and write another. This one is useless now that I've finished it.

Have a rad day.

Maddy

Random Thought No. 3

No comments:

Post a Comment