Saturday, April 12, 2014

Who I want to be // if I should pursue this

There are two parts of a person: who they are currently and who they are striving to be. The second is changing constantly and the first doesn't change very quickly. The second is a decision; the first is the result of that decision.

Who I am as of today: a loud girl who is very open about most things, who enjoys playing instruments at great volumes, who can't describe it all in one sentence.

Who I want to be: a quieter girl who is very open about most things, who enjoys playing instruments at great volumes, who can easily define herself, who posts hipster pictures on Instagram, who writes fearlessly and creates endlessly, who enjoys life constantly, who embraces difficult situations.

The second sounds much more like-able than the first, but how do I become this person, and should I? When we try to become someone different, the world around us shifts as it realizes we are, too. The way I see it, we should definitely strive to be the person we want to be. How do we start?

I enjoy making lists, and I don't know if you can change who you are through a checklist, but I'm sure going to try:
- Post a hipster picture on Instagram.
- Compliment everyone you meet.
- Write a story.
- Make a song.
- Quit complaining.
- Eat a strawberry.
- Encourage someone.

Maybe if we're constantly trying to be this new person who we've always dreamed of being, one day we'll wake up and realize, somewhere along the way, we became that person. Maybe we should embrace who we are, but it seems strange to stop trying to be better.

Maddy

Random Thought No. 2

No comments:

Post a Comment